Sulphide mourning ring
An unusual mourning ring, circa 1820. The high carat gold shank supports a compartment set with a weave of har. The hair is surmounted by a pensive putto leaning on a flaming, garlanded urn, executed in sulphide and under crystal. Sulphides, or cameo incrustations, were pioneered by Apsley Pellatt in 1819, when he took out a patent for the process of encasing a medallion in glass. The effect achieved was three dimensional and this one is very finely executed. The ring is size K and 1/2 [US 5 and 3/8] and the head of the ring measures 3/4 of an inch by 2/3 of an inch. In immaculate condition.